top of page

1040 Insider - What Do You Need to File a Tax Return?

As you prepare to submit your tax return, it is essential to have various documents at hand.

Some of the most common documents that are typically required include:

  • Form W-2

    • This document is provided by your employer.

  • Form 1099

    • This form may come from sources such as your bank, state unemployment agency, a pension plan, or retirement distribution.

  • Form 1099-K or 1099-Misc

    • These forms are commonly used by individuals working in gig jobs (e.g., Doordash, Uber) and those who are self-employed.

  • Form 1099-INT

    • You will receive a 1099-INT if you have received any interest payments.

  • Form 1095-A

    • If you have healthcare coverage through the Marketplace, you will receive this form to reconcile any advanced payments.

Additionally, when filing your return, you may need the following information:

  • Valid Photo ID

    • Some states mandate a valid ID for electronic tax filing.

  • Social Security Number

    • You should have your Social Security Number and those of any dependents you plan to claim.

  • Bank Account and Routing Number

    • You can opt to receive your refund via direct deposit or set up electronic payments if you owe.

Each individual's tax situation is unique, requiring specific documents for filing. If you are uncertain about the necessary documentation, feel free to download our Tax Organizer or consult with your tax advisor.

Individual Tax Organizer
Download PDF • 341KB

If you seek further information on this subject, please visit the IRS.

4 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page